Monday, October 29, 2012

“Kris is more of a consensus leader, a deep thinker...”

Girish Vaidya, director, infosys leadership institute

I actually worked outside in the industry for 23.5 years, in organisations like ANZ Grindlays – where I headed the investigation into the Rs.506 crores Harshad Mehta scam – before joining Infosys in 1999. I was lucky to have been there during the times of Murthy, Nandan and Kris, and headed our best selling Finacle till 2005, before finally becoming the head of the leadership institute. As much as I can recall, I’m the only one of two outsiders Infosys has taken directly into leadership positions. If I were to comment on the differences in styles of leadership of Murthy, Nandan and Kris, the fact is that Nandan’s style is always to give a long rope. He’ll trust the person to do the job, give him enough freedom. But Nandan is also phenomenal in connecting with people and networking. Not only is Nandan very articulative, but given a situation, he can fly 50,000 feet above the ground to get an idea of the overall perspective. Comparatively, Murthy regularly gives very valuable lessons. For example, once he told me that I have no right to criticise if I can’t praise. It remained with me. To an extent, Murthy is such a senior person you tend to accept anything he says as he is an iconic person – even he’s very much aware of that – but at the same time, he’s very down to earth. Kris, comparatively, is more of a consensus leader. He’s a deep thinker and in my discussions and interactions with him, he always gives me newer dimensions to the issues put forth. And I think it’s too early to talk about Kris’ successor.


Source : IIPM Editorial, 2012.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.

 
IIPM : The B-School with a Human Face